Yesterday, my sixth mothers day, God changed my heart through a special home coming to my amazing family. On Friday I left for DC for three days. Andrew stepped up and took on the huge role of mister mom for two nights and three long days. He cooked, cleaned, and cared for our little brood. Away from the hustle and bustle, the daily chores, the constant needs of my children, I was able to rest, reflect and realize that I am truly blessed to have a devoted loving husband who seeks to meet all my needs and three loving children who pour out their hearts in love to me.
Me and Abe - I am free to do what I want...
As I was driving home yesterday, my heart ached for my family, to see their smiling faces, to hold them and hug them, to enjoy their tales of their weekend. And it was in this moment in the car ten minutes from home, that I realized that mothers day isn't about honoring me. It is about me being so overwhelmingly thankful for what God has graciously given me. He has entrusted me with his most special mission, loving three children with his love, raising them to love and follow him, and most importantly trusting him in how to do all of this.
My special blessings come in every day moments - smiles, hugs, kisses, from the ones I love most.
I am blessed because I get way more than I give every day. You see, I always thought it was about what I give but it isn't. It is about what I get and how I am changed and blessed. Motherhood has been the one job in my life that has changed me the most. It has taught me to die to myself, to pick up my cross and follow Jesus. It has taught me that no matter what I need in the moment, other's needs are more important. This job has showed me that forgiveness is easy, because my kids constantly forgive me when I mess up. It has taught me that I am flawed, that I am not perfect, but that God doesn't expect me to be because I have Jesus who is perfect. It has taught me that love is all that I need, and that joy in my Father is possible even when my circumstances are challenging.
When I arrived home, the kids ran to me with open arms, screaming and shouting with laughter, kissing me and holding me tight! (Well the boys did - Kayla seemed a little put off that I had left her for three days and she took about 30 minutes to warm back up to me - she made daddy feel special by clinging to him!) I couldn't imagine a better gift on mothers day than my family who loves me with all of their hearts and who do so with open arms and open hearts.
Today, I wake up full - full of God's love that is shown to me through the people in my life who love me without condition and who pour their love graciously into my heart! Thank you God that even mothers day is not about me, it is about you and the way you love me through your blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment